Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I'm a process knitter and that's okay by me

Where do I start? And what can I say...

My name is Jennifer and I'm a process knitter. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

A friend has, kindly, referred to me as precise knitter. (I think that in her mind knitter is one step up from nutbag but that is a conversation for another day.) I think she was trying to find a kind way to tell me I am picky but, clearly, not a perfectionist. I am a firm believer in good-enough.  I will NOT even contemplate frogging 10" of sweater to fix that one small error. Truthfully, I probably won't even go back a couple of rows if it can be easily ignored  avoided.  I will blindly continue knitting a project that is obviously too big/small/short/long until completion. And then act totally aghast and appalled at the monstrosity I have created. Then I'll find someone that that item does fit and then give it away.

I instead choose to say I am making "an interpretation" of a designer's pattern. I'm just happy to knit.

The irony of all of this is that I am a planner and problem solver by nature. Don't get me wrong, I read the entire pattern before attempting the project. I sometimes swatch. I have a tape measure and I know how to use it. I am very good at math. And still...

I have been knitting long enough to have had some moderate successes but let's just say I have also had some spectacular misses too. I can always count on the item to look beautiful when finished but sizing seems to be my major issue these days.
And, still, I keep knitting.

This blog is a running commentary on my adventures in knitting. The good, the bad and the funny.  I aspire to actually make something that fits me, at least occasionally.

But it's a process, Knitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment