Are you ready?
I have a pretty good yarn stash. But it is at risk of turning into a good yarn collection unless I do something about it... and soon.
I have bought a lot of yarn over the last year and have, at last count, 63 items in my Ravelry queue. I have, probably, enough yarn on hand to make at least 25 (UPDATE: 32 actually, if I count socks I had planned) of the items in the queue and more than a few more items that I haven't even found yet.
My "problem" is that I am so excited by certain projects that I rush out and by the yarn right away. I panic and start to worry that I can always do that project later but that I must buy the pattern and yarn RIGHT NOW before either gets discontinued/removed/lost/sold out etc. I generally tuck both the pattern and the yarn away quickly and promise to do "that project next". But it never seems to happen that way. I suppose I am a total magpie and I am always attracted to the next shiny object.
|picture courtesy of: www.planetpurl.com|
And it is getting a little out of control. So I need to do something radical (well, for me)... I need to go on a yarn diet. I need to use the fabulous yarn that I have and get to work on the projects I have planned already.
So, a yarn diet it is. I figured that I had better do this publicly and put it out there of what I have and the rules. This will also serve as a reminder to myself to be appreciative of the yarn that I have in hand already.
THE YARN DIET RULZ:
- I am going to try to knit from my stash until October 31, 2013.
- I am going to use stashed yarn for all projects from now until deadline.
- I am in one yarn club right now (it ends November 2012) but that will be the only yarn coming in. Incoming club yarn will be added to the stash totals.
- I will accept yarn or yarn club memberships as gifts. Hint, Hint. (Is it sad that I am already planning loopholes to my rules.) Those totals will be added to the stash.
- I would like to have under 52,500 yards by deadline. (That is 11% consumption. Which admittedly may be a pretty high goal.)
- Selling and trading yarn is allowed and will be documented accordingly.
- I will report monthly.
|This is the whole stash.|
|This is the part of the stash that is accounted|
for planned projects.